Monday, January 7, 2008

I Know My Calculus

Neighbors Kim & Scott introduced me, the other day, to a Columbia math grad student. He was nice, et cetera, not the point. At brunch on Sunday, Kim was telling us all about hanging out with him and his other Math Student friends. The particularly interesting part was the girls. Apparently, from spending so much time in a male-dominated field, a girl becomes "one of the boys." Meaning that these ladies talk about their sex lives as openly (read: brazenly) as the guys do. Kim's example was a girl talking about some spring break trip and saying, "And remember that time I had sex with three guys in one day? That was awesome!" Her male friend said, "Yeah, that was awesome!"

I was about to say, "Is it weird that I think that sounds great?" But my roommate beat me to it--"You know Susan B. would totally talk that way if we did." She was totally right, and I totally appreciated it.

Two things. One: this maybe supports my family's belief in co-ed education. I dunno. Two: It's funny that I've basically never been able to just gleefully spill all my details to anyone without fearing it was TMI. I came closest with my flatmate in London, mostly because we were two American Broads Abroad and that's what you do. I don't even know for sure that my guy friends talk that way to each other. But then I wouldn't, would I? They don't seem like the types, but that's probably a Naive Girl thing to say.

So if anyone wants to be my Kiss-and-Tell buddy, applications are now available.

No comments: