Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Picking A Pony

I've talked before about my mixed Clinton-related feelings. Well, they've changed. Kind of. Yes, I too have gotten swept up in Obamamania. It's hard not to. But last night I was reminded that I've been loving Hillary since I was 10 years old. I grew up on her. Watching Hillary's acceptance speech, I actually choked up a little. My reaction was basically, "Oh look, my mom's running for President. My mom would be an AWESOME President!"

I'm over my lame trust issues, and now it truly is down to electability. This issue is two-fold: Hillary arguably being not-so-electable, and Obama arguably being super-electable. If you'd seen nothing but the speeches last night, you could well have thought that he had won. Though his speech didn't really have any content (do any of them at this point?), it was undeniably inspiring. He's a superb orator. He might actually unite rather than divide--though honestly, do we want that? Wouldn't we rather be divided but winning? But I digress.

I wish people would stop talking about Hillary's unelectability. Not because they're wrong, or because it's not a valid issue, but solely because, well, it makes me sad. It irritates me the same way as when people criticize Juno even in the slightest--I want to cover my ears and scream "CHANGE THE SUBJECT CHANGE THE SUBJECT!"

Which means that this post is not actually as substantive as I'd intended, because I don't really feel like thinking about the many reasons why nominating Clinton could potentially be a bad idea. Maybe I'll return to this subject later. The bottom line is, I am officially torn. I have no idea whom I'm voting for in a few weeks. I love Hillary, and while I don't think she's UNelectable, I think Obama's hard for any Republican to outcharm.

Sigh.

No comments: