Monday, January 7, 2008

All Years' Resolutions

Looking at Nerve's "Scanner Emily's Top 10 Lessons Learned in 2007," one thing jumped out:

4. If you suspect a guy is blowing you off, he is. No matter what your friends say.

This is SOOOO not news but I feel it bears constant repetition. I think my friends and I have learned this lesson to the point that we don't actually try to convince our friends they're not being blown off, but I know I still have that little pipsqueak voice in the back of my head that tries to make excuses. One has to constantly remind oneself that if a guy likes you, he will try to keep you from screwing other guys by at least calling you now and then.

Neighbor Steve was in fact helpful on this front recently, when an attempted set-up by a well-meaning friend resulted in me totally hitting it off with* this guy and then he never called. A few days later (Monday--->Saturday), Neighbor Steve and I, being just about the only ones not out of town for Christmas, went to our local bar for a drink, where there were 3 other people (bartender included). Then, of course, Monday Dude walks in. Awkward wave. That's it.

So, Neighbor Steve and I do the requisite check-in. Did he think Steve and I were on a date? Nah, we were SO not acting datey, which he would've seen had he been looking for signals, and more importantly, if he'd been interested he would've called by then. Did he get an extension due to the holiday weekend? Steve thought a minute and determined that, had he been interested, he should at least have texted me an "R u in town this wk?" Was it because I'm Jewish and he's all Church-Going Master's in Theology? Apparently he has a long history of choosing the Chosen. So, no more excuses: he blew me off. Tant pis. Neighbor Steve was quite indignant on my behalf, which is all a girl can ask.

I will stop here, since I am trying to NOT just go on and on about my life but to actually have a POINT, which is this: we often need reminders of things that we know we should know, but we're only human so sometimes we allow ourselves to forget. The end.

*Fine, "making out with."

No comments: