Friday, September 21, 2007

Mythbusters: Sexual Edition

[Possibly a recurring series?]

This is not really apropos of anything in my life right this second, but I've dealt with it in the past and some of my friends are dealing with it right now, so I've been annoyed about it lately:

Myth #1: Men like to have sex more than women.

WTF, boys? Could this PLEASE be true? I'm not a big dater, but in all of my relationships, I want to have sex more often than the guy. Why do boys diagnose you with nymphomania* if you want to have sex more than once a week? (Seriously. More than ONCE A WEEK is often a problem.) Here are some possible explanations for this phenomenon:

-Men think that sex needs to take forever. But this, of course, depends on the girl. Some of us (ahem) have orgasms more easily than others, and will beat you to the finish line. Some of us don't even necessarily need the orgasm every time. The word "quickie" seems a little too Cosmo for my taste, but you get the idea.
-Women need to be on top more. All that thrusting and kneeling and the missionary push-ups probably take a toll, but guys--you can let us do the work now and then! Other things to consider: fingers and tongues. I mean come on, you learned this in middle school.
-Boredom? Must find new bear to kill?
-We're fat.

Of course, a myth is a myth--maybe guys don't have a particular reason and some just aren't wired to have sex more than once a week. Also, I know that this does not remotely apply to all men out there. My point: coital laziness leads to frustration and self-doubt. Do what you gotta do, but please don't make us feel like freaks for having healthy sex drives.


*Especially since nymphomania was eliminated as a valid diagnosis in 1994, when the DSM-IV came out. Psych major in the house!

2 comments:

Kim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
violetta said...

Yeahhhhhhh...don't get me started. As an oft mislabelled non-DSM-IV nympho (which is so ironic for so many reasons, the least of which being that I waited until my 20s to lose it...!), I cannot for the life of me explain this recent (down) turn of events among the male species.
Stress?
Work?
Too much alcohol?
Drugs?
Too tired?
Too insecure?
Surreptitiously taking antidepressants for a real DSM-IV disorder? (this did happen to me)
Intimacy issues?
Mean?
Withholding?
Would rather surf sports on the Net?
I have no fucking clue, but I wish once, just once, they would get it together!