Friday, January 4, 2008

I Have A Fever...And The Only Perscription Is More Primaries

That is not actually a joke. The NH primary is on Tuesday and I am chomping at the bit. Obama and Clinton are my Britney, Wonkette my TMZ.

Some say that Huckabee is bad news for the Dems, since he's the only candidate who can galvanize the evangelicals. This is reportedly what happened in Iowa. But the Democratic turnout was more than twice that of Republican voters, so how galvanized can they be? 239,000 Democratic voters (compared to 2004's 125,000!) versus 108,000 Republican voters. Apparently you don't have to wave the Jesus flag to get people to the polls.

I don't know enough to actually extrapolate Iowa voting to how the nation will vote in the November election. I confess that I don't see how Huckabee or Romney could beat Obama, The Most Charming Man EverTM. I have no idea about McCain, since I find him so uncharming, but then I, unlike him, am pro-choice, so how could I find him charming?

I have never before been so desperate for hot primary action. Which is true of the rest of the nation--this is getting tons more coverage now than in 2004. But then, this is the first time since 1928 that none of the candidates are incumbents or Vice-Presidents. All the primaries actually matter!Except for all the ones after South Carolina, but you know what I mean.

Actually, this year's obligatory Stupid Christmas Family Fight was about the caucuses, which my mother for some reason thinks are cool. But she did make the good point that I have little historical perspective on the primaries and am basing my opinion mostly on 2004. (The opinion being that Iowa caucuses are basically the only primary that matters.) I later told her that Anna Quindlen hates the caucuses, too, which shut her up. But she couldn't bring herself to actually read the article.

No comments: