Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Gender, Booze, And Song

More karaoke last night, this time at the Bar We Always Go To--they're now doing it once a month. It was fun, and I sang "Wicked Game" (now one of my standard jams), which went over well partially because it's perfect for my voice, but also the MC said she'd never heard a woman sing that song. She seemed quite impressed--she mentioned it several times. Later, Guy Who Blew Me Off* complimented me on the choice.

I then chatted with Guy I Shouldn't Hook Up With** about the fact that I drink whiskey and that this makes me cool. I confided in him that I decided (years ago) that I would train myself to like whiskey in order to impress boys...and that it was way easier than I expected and now Jack on the rocks is my favorite drink, which is slightly unfortunate because it's not as cheap as well vodka.

The point being: yay, hooray, for occasionally feeling that minor manifestations of my gender issues can be appealing to other people. For while singing sultry male songs and drinking macho drinks makes ME feel sexy, and is SUPPOSED to make other people think I'm sexy, I rarely have a clue how things actually play out.

Or is it laughable that I think of singing Chris Isaak and drinking whiskey as expressions of gender identity?


*He needs a better nickname. I still think of him as Monday Guy but since we hooked up a month ago that no longer really makes sense.
**There were way too many Persons of Interest at this bar last night, but that's a different story.

No comments: