Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Sex and the City: SO OVER IT [Spoilers, like you care]

Things have been leaked about the upcoming SATC movie. Namely: that Charlotte is pregnant and Carrie gets married, presumably to Big.

WTF??? These facts have officially made me dislike this movie. (Before this, I didn't care.) The WHOLE POINT of Charlotte and Harry adopting was that Charlotte ended up with the family of her dreams...but not her expectations. She learned to build a life outside of the WASPy visions she'd grown up with--even Carrie's final voice over said something about building a family different than expected!

As for the marriage--what I liked about the ending of the show was that it didn't specify whether Carrie and Big were going to get married. Carrie had said that, after the Aidan fake-out, she wasn't sure she ever wanted to get married, and the show's ending preserved the possibility that they would be more of a Susan Sarandon/Tim Robbins-type couple--life partners, without the societal label and the expectations it brings.

I've always had mixed feelings about this show, but I liked that it posed the idea that there are different ways of ending up happy. Some people get married, some people get married more than once, some people find love in different ways.

If Samantha and Smith get married, I'm demanding my money back. Not that it's likely I'll pay to see it.

1 comment:

Katey said...

I have a feeling the "Carrie in a wedding dress" thing is a fakeout. First of all, that dress is awful. Second of all, it would really severely go against the message of the show to do that. Not that I don't think it's possible, but that particular scenario seems unlikely.

But I do believe that Charlotte's pregnant. Call me choosy, but whatevs, only time will tell.