Tuesday, October 16, 2007

More on the F Word

Jezebel reports on a new study finding that feminism helps heterosexual relationships, feminists have better sex lives, feminists date more and more seriously, etc etc. This is all awesome. The reason I'm telling you this in the context of Jezebel is that they have a weird little mini-debate in which two of their editors--one a "feminist" and one "not"--talk about how feminists have it better. A quote from the self-described non-feminist:

I don't give a whole lot of thought to my gender or its role in my relationships and I'm pretty sure that's my problem. I do not think about how men expect women to look or act or talk or smell; I have never gotten a single body part waxed and I get my hair cut at Super Cuts and my underwear at -- oh shit, my underwear collection -- and as a result I think dudes I date tend to feel let down when we get close.... Meanwhile my roommate, a woman's studies major who spent several years working at a feminist nonprofit, has fake nails, awesome clothes and a constant stream of guys dying to date her.

WTF does this mean? That only feminists care about how they look--and that all of them do, because looking hot is what feminism's about? This makes no sense. I don't get it. It makes me sad when people cook up these weird definitions of feminism.

Probably she is just trying to twist her life to fit into what the post is trying to say. Like, "we need a non-feminist...hmm...I don't listen to Bikini Kill or hate frat boys so I guess I count...and I guess I could have a better love life? Because of, uh, stuff! Yeah, that's it, stuff."

Weird, Jezebel. Weird. And you guys are normally so great!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

argh, i find it so frustrating when women (when PEOPLE) who are clearly feminists decide to claim that they are not. i mean, i read the damn blog, i read her posts, there is nothing "not-feminist" about them. sigh.

yeah, i don't get it.