Monday, October 8, 2007

More Linguistics

In prepping for this weeks "Male Feminist of the Week," I've discovered that a lot of men and women in the movement feel it is inappropriate for men to call themselves feminists--they should, rather, consider themselves "pro-feminist."

This goes, basically, against everything I believe in. As far as I'm concerned, most people I know are feminists, whether or not they embrace the label, whether or not they have evolved feminist stances on every issue, whether or not they are feminist activists (or, indeed, actively feminist). I don't think you have to fully understand what it's like to be a woman in order to support and further feminist causes and ideals. To quote my friend Steve: "I don't need a special group just because I have a dick."

I think it could be argued that people of any gender who are more passively in favor of feminist ideals should be called "pro-feminist." But defining it along gender lines is divisive, exclusionary, and more than a little depressing. Calling men feminists encourages them to take up the cause--calling them "pro-feminist" makes it sound like they sit on their recliners watching the game going, "yeah, I'd let my wife work--whatever, right?" It makes it sound like it's okay for men to sit on the sidelines passively saying, "you go girl" and shrugging their shoulders about anything subtler than the 19th Ammendment.

You go, you male feminist you. We're in this together!

No comments: