Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Yes I Can

I've just realized that there is a really awesome byproduct of being an Obama supporter: I can call people out on Hillary-directed sexism with impunity. The "I voted for Obama, but..." may prove very useful, as I can make all the points that some women have made without undermining it all with the "and thus you should vote for Hillary or you're sexist too" ending.

This occurred to me at a coffee shop yesterday when I LAUGHED ALOUD at a man who was talking to the barista (baristo?) about supporting Obama because he got a "control, power-hungry vibe" from Clinton. I love* when people convince themselves that Obama is not a politician, that he doesn't want power, despite the fact that he's RUNNING FOR FUCKING PRESIDENT, which is arguably the definition of wanting power. This dude also followed it up with the, "She just wants Bill back in the White House" argument, which people use almost invariably in contradiction to their other arguments. She's power-mad, but she doesn't plan to have power? Someone hates their mother!

I didn't actually engage the dude, but he heard me laugh at him. So that was fun.


*If by love you mean hate! Which I do.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Last Tuesday I was exiting the subway at Union Square, and the Obamites were waiting for me in full force. Now, there were a lot of these weirdos all over the city, and I had pretty much blocked out everything they had said to that point, but this guy at the top of the steps kept barking out something that really struck me:

"Vote Obama! You don't want another corporate Democrat!"

And I almost engaged the guy, until I realized I don't actually care enough to converse with these people, and I was already late for a Scrabble engagement. But it floored me, the conviction with which this guy was telling me that Obama's not like these other politicians, he's different. Like, I get that he's inspiring. I thought that "yes we can" video was pretty cool. But I don't see where you make the leap that the difference between him and Hillary is that he's not "corporate." Give me a break.

Joel Stein had a good editorial on this phenomenon, I wonder if you've seen.

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-oe-stein8feb08,0,3418234.column

Liz T. said...

I've also heard that his feces smell pleasantly of lilac and sunshine.

Liz T. said...

That is a great piece! "Urkel with a better tailor" is pretty good, though sometimes Obama does seem to get lost in his own suit.