Thursday, February 28, 2008

Susan B.'s Words To Live By: Ageism

Since reaching adulthood, I have been interested in guys ranging in age from 18-52. Sure, most of them were in the age-appropriate part of the spectrum, but I don't necessarily discriminate. Or rather, I DIDN'T discriminate. I suppose this installment includes not one but three Susan B. adages, and here is the first, not just within the post but in the order I coined it:

After a certain point, there are just mature people and immature people.

Not the catchiest phrase, I know, but it's good for backstory. See, while we all need some time to grow up, there are some people who will always be immature, even well into middle age. Thus, if you put a 43-year-old next to a 23-year-old, there is no guarantee that the elder will be more mature than the younger.

Now on to recent events. Being 26, I have decided that I am no longer interested in guys in their 30's. It is not because they are gross or unattractive, oh no. It is because of Adage #2:

Do not date older guys, because it's even more disappointing when you find out how immature they are.

Seriously. Lately a few 30-somethings I know have behaved as though they were still in high school, pulling shit that someone their age should really have surpassed--not calling a girl after a hook-up and then acting shocked when she doesn't want to hang with you/hook up again, hitting on a girl in FRONT of his date, etc. And when this happens, it is actually infuriating, because THEY SHOULD KNOW BETTER. And then you lose faith for the human race, because aren't we all supposed to ripen with age? Learn from our missteps? Which brings me to Adage #3:

Guys in your 20's: Have you fucked up with girls? Are you fucking up with girls right now? Good! Please do it now, and GET IT OUT OF YOUR SYSTEM. In ten years it will be soooo unattractive.*

So that's today's lesson. I am just really sick of older guys who have no idea how to behave themselves. It lends credence to all those "Manchild" trend pieces, and no one wants that. Also, no one wants to set me off on a Justice kick--once I encounter these types, and feel that they are simply beyond resocialization, I just wind up feeling they should be punished. It was a bitter moment when I remembered that karma happens across lifetimes, rather than within.


*Please pardon my heteronormativity--I genuinely have no idea if these trends apply within genders.

No comments: