Monday, November 26, 2007

So True Who Cares If It's Original

Jezebel just posted on "the streak"--dry spells followed by sex sprees. This has been the story of the last three years of my life. I was celibate for almost TWO YEARS (the first year by choice, the second one less so). And then came the infamous "Party Night Trifecta"--a hook-up Saturday, Friday, and Saturday again, three different guys* in three 'consecutive' nights. And of course, the rain began to pour--old F Friends suddenly called, cute strangers appeared in bars, Irish rock climbing instructors knocked on my hotel door at 2 am**. More than 1/3 of my 'number' can be attributed to the last 7 months--which is not the most flagrant streak ever, but is for sure statistically significant.

This had no cause that I can figure out: this was a full seven months after moving back to NYC, three after Roommate Katey proclaimed 2007 the "Year of Susan B.***", I think before I got that gym membership (or at least at the very beginning), and not proximate to any change in medications, therapy, government regime, or the relationship statuses of friends.

Okay, I suppose the answer is, in fact obvious: once I broke the seal, I remembered how (and why) to get back on that horse again. That first hook-up after a long walk through the desert can seriously whet your thirst. Spark-to-tinder, chink-in-the-dam, etc etc other clichés. After a certain point, who cares? I try to enjoy the ride.


*Though the first one was just making out in a friend's kitchen. On Purim! We may have knocked a pan off the wall (sorry Jake!).
**
Ah, the rhetorical device. If only it had in fact been multiple rock climbing instructors.
***Sounds better if you know my real name†.

Which you all do cuz who else reads this?

No comments: