Friday, June 13, 2008

A Fond Farewell (For The Moment, Anyway)

Well, what kind of a feminist blogger would I be if I had nothing to say at this point on Hillary Clinton?

(I have a better photo on my computer at home, I'll switch it up later. If you image-google her, you'll find that most of what comes up are intentionally unflattering.)

The problem is that so many others have had more intelligent, more eloquent things to say. Megan Carpentier of Jezebel posted something great, and Courtney Martin at Feministing, unsurprisingly, wrote a wonderful letter about HRC. What's left for me to say? I'm not sure. You all know I have a great attachment to Clinton, but I find that most of my thoughts right now are on the future.

-Assuming she isn't tapped for VP (I really cannot predict if she will be or not), let's address this "Clinton supporters will vote McCain" mishegos. That is crazytalk. No one who believes in anything Clinton stands for, and is politically aware enough to be that vehement, would vote for McCain. The election is not until November. In a month everyone will have calmed down and the Democrats will have reunited. If she's not Obama's running mate, Clinton might still campaign for him, and will at least be vocal in her support--as she already is. It might be true that some die-hard Clintonistas might just not drag their asses to the polls, but make the effort to go and then vote for the horribly anti-reproductive-rights McCain? Okay maybe the racists, but only the really motivated racists.

-I'm waiting for people to start talking about what a bad campaign she ran, how miserably she lost. Hell, they were talking about it while it was still happening. You know who lost miserably? Edwards. Huckabee. Giuliani. The people who didn't last more than a few states. Remember Mitt Romney? Yeah, me neither. So if you hear anyone talking about Hillary getting her ass handed to her, remind them HOW MANY TIMES the pundits thought THIS primary, FINALLY, would settle things...and then the next morning we were no clearer. They were neck-a-neck for a long time. Respect.

-There's a whole list of powerful female politicians--governors and the like--on whom we should keep our eye for future bids. (I'll add it later, I'm running out of internet time here at the hostel.) Megan Carpentier pointed out how incredible it is that a woman ran as the establishment candidate--I think (hope) that Clinton herself is right about having cracked that glass ceiling.
Oh, there will be a next time.

No comments: