Friday, September 28, 2007

Mythbuster #2: The Big Question

Does size matter?

I could make a joke about how yes, as a 38C I need a lot of support, or something like that, but y'all know what I'm talking about. Penis size is one of the concerns that makes me glad I'm a girl, because it seems to be so pernicious with so many guys--it might be the hardest insecurity to shake, and society is CONSTANTLY reinforcing it. Of course, I tell this to female friends and they give me a variant of, "Oh poor babies that they're given ONE physical insecurity, BOO HOO." But I digress. Probably I'll get a lot of comments on this post, so good! I'd love you to weigh in, as always. But for me there is only one answer:

Of course size matters. It's just not the only thing that matters. Not by a long shot.

It's only rational--how could it not matter? As in, obviously it has an effect. But it's just one of the many things that might or might not have an effect. I don't usually notice, unless we're talking extremes--I'm about as likely to notice size as I am to notice, say, vocality(?) or roughness, things for which everyone has their own taste. My feeling, in general, is that bigger is NOT better. Too wide is painful one way, too long painful another way. (As in, Ouch, that's my cervix.) And perhaps most importantly, a larger size makes oral sex much less pleasurable--or even feasible!
If I have trouble getting the condom on, I'm probably not going down as eagerly. And let's not forget about anal, either. So, I like my men how I like my tops from H&M--medium. We all like to feel full, but not like we're being force-fed Thanksgiving dinner*.

If you're on the smaller side? Do not despair. Almost every woman has a story about that small-in-the-game guy who was the best lay she'd ever had. The street wisdom is that men who aren't that "cocky" go the extra mile. A LOT of women can't climax just from penetration, and are hugely grateful for a guy who spends time on foreplay and oral sex, and develops those techniques instead of resting on his laurels.

Granted, some women (and gay men) disagree. But when it comes to nuts and bolts, I'd say that most people are less picky than you'd expect.


*Not sure how I feel about this metaphor but we'll give it a whirl.


Mythbusters is now officially a Friday regular. We'll see if I can keep it up. So to speak.

No comments: