Friday, December 18, 2009

Help Wanted: When The Princess Bride Is Just Too Gritty

(aka, Not All My Posts Are About Rape)

I was on vacation with the folks in Miami last month, and the weather wasn't great so we were stuck inside a bit, and my dad was working for half of it, so my mom and I got a little bored at times. One afternoon we ended up watching No Reservations, the romantic comedy with Catherine Zeta-Jones, Aaron Eckhart, and Abigail Breslin. While it might seem like it follows the recently popular, woeful rom com trope of bringing a career woman to her knees, upon viewing one learns that this is NOT the case. More on this later, the point is:

I wanted to make a list, in its honor, of romantic comedies I actually like--movies for when I don't want to think, but don't want my intelligence insulted. The problem is, this list is very short at the moment. So, dear readers:

Any suggestions?

PLEASE suggest. But don't say Love, Actually, I hate that movie. (More on that later, too.)

4 comments:

illudote said...

keeping the faith?

M. Goldman said...

On thinking about this, I was surprised to discover my two favorites of the last ten years are Will Ferrell movies—Stranger Than Fiction and Elf. Which is weird because I really dislike Will Ferrell.

Unknown said...

Watch Prime. The ultimate cougar love story. The chemistry between Uma and the leading man is amazing and it is sort of my fantasy to be a cougar one day so....it's not all happy endings or anything but at the same time I think it gives a lovely look at how the good parts and the bad parts of a relationship can be beautiful.

Michelle said...

...sherlock holmes?

oh wait that's probably not what you had in mind.

(still thinking, i'll let you know if i come up with any real answers.)