Monday, March 3, 2008

The Bare Necessities Of Life

Seeing as I'm now "funemployed"*, I've gotten lazy about a lot of things, and one of those is healthy eating. It's occurred to me that I could stand to lose a few pounds--not necessarily from an objective aesthetic standpoint (cuz no one wants to hear that), but because some of my underwear doesn't reallLinky fit anymore. Apparently the extra pounds go to my hips and ass, and now I can't even think about anything in the g-string or French bikini family.

However. What with the funemployment, I just cannot bring myself to watch what I'm eating. As I've said before, I think guys should be fine with my body even if I know they won't be, which kills the motivation. And I like boyshorts better anyway. But this has gotten me thinking about food. Namely, that I love food. I enjoy food. And I wonder if an enjoyment of food is related to an enjoyment of sex.

In high school I had an idle interest in palmistry, read a few books on it, found it interesting. One book categorized my "hand type" as Romantic. (I think, this was like 10th grade.) It characterized my ilk as sensual, to the point that we might be a little overweight because we so enjoy the acts of eating and drinking. (I am aware that most people enjoy these acts, but the diet idea of viewing food as nothing more than fuel actually horrifies me.)

There's a minor cliché that fat girls are better in bed. Some people go with the "because they have to be" angle, others go with "because skinny girls DON'T have to be." There's also the idea that conventionally hot ladies, caring more about their physical appearance, are more self-conscious when nude**. BUT, what if it's that, assuming that slightly chubby girls are slightly chubby because of their food intake, and that their food intake is due to their enjoyment of the taking-in, both the love of food and the love of sex are two results of one root factor--their attunement to, and enjoyment of, sensual experiences?

And yes, this is possibly just my excuse to eat lots of cheese. Mmm. Cheese.



*Credit to Sojourner at Diary of a Mad Blacktress for the phrase. I'm unemployed and lovin' it.
**There's also the theory that none of this is even true, but bear with me.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

You're onto something with your third theory. A sybarite should not have the body of an ascetic. That's logically and aesthetically inconsistent. That a sensualist should have a lush, full body is appropriate, appealing and a cause for celebration, not embarrassment. There are many, many guys (many of whom still lack the courage to stand up publicly in contrast to unrealistic body images) who are profoundly attracted to women whose sensual appetites manifest themselves physically. Imagine for a moment discovering a quote from Mae West wherein she apologizes for her sizable hips and ass and wrings her hands over the foods she shouldn't eat. Really, consider the crushing disappointment you would feel. RUBBISH, I say. A terrified diet industry with $60 billion at stake wants you to think your round ass and broad hips are a threat to your health, a hindrance to employment, a turnoff to sexual partners, even a CLASS issue of all brass-balled sophistries, anything but what they are, which is a natural and appealing consequence of a passionate lifestyle. Squeeze into your sexy undies, go get some fondue, and up the revolution!

Unknown said...

Oh, and furthermore, listen to what Joy Nash has to say about it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUTJQIBI1oA

Kim said...

thanks for linking to an image of a french bikini. I had no idea what that was :)

Kim said...

When I'm depressed, I lose weight and lose my sex drive. when I'm happy, I gain weight and turn into a sex machine.

Yes, I think there's definitely a correlation between how much one enjoys sex and how much one enjoys food.

Liz T. said...

Good point Kim!